I’m a huge advocate of what I call “clean eating”: the less processed the food, the better. This is one of the many reasons I love farmers markets. These local venues are great places to purchase fresh, healthy food directly from the farmer or grower. The benefits of shopping at local farmers markets are many.
If locally grown foods haven’t yet touched your palette, here are 5 great reasons why they should.
1. Farm fresh: Industrialized food travels on average an estimated 1,500 miles before it reaches your plate. Items you find at our local grocery stores are days and sometimes weeks old before they reach store shelves. Farmers market produce, on the other hand, is often picked and at the market within days, so you know the food is as fresh as you can get outside of growing it yourself.
2. Organic and non-GMO: Many local farmers use organic methods and non-GMO seeds to grow their crops. Most label it as such, so you can be certain you are purchasing chemical-free products. Organic farming is better for the soil, the environment, and your health.
3. Seasonal: Eating seasonally means avoiding “artificial ripening” with gases, or eating a nauseating version of a fruit or vegetable that’s been tampered with. Seasonal eating delivers the most delicious and robust flavors.
4. More nutritious: Fruits and vegetables begin to lose their nutritional value as soon as they’re picked. One look at the vivid colors of produce found at the farmers market, and you’ll be able to tell just how nutritious they are. Compare that to the often bruised produce with gooey stickers all over at the grocery store, and you’ll see that there is no comparison.
5. Variety: Farmers markets offer great opportunities to try something new. Most local farmers and growers are there because they have a passion for their product. They’re a wealth of information. Don’t be afraid to ask questions, as this can be a great chance to get new ideas and tips for healthy food prep.
Sean Lee has been in the health and fitness industry for 18 years as a speaker, best selling author, and founder of Restoration Fitness. Lake Zurich’s premier wellness studio. Visit restorationfitness.com to learn more, or call 847.847.1837 to schedule your free no-obligation consultation.