Clear Out The Clutter!
It’s time to purge 2015 and start 2016 right! Use these tips to get yourself organized in the New Year.
- IDENTIFY – Pick out which areas need the most attention (those closets, the basement or attic). Then locate the areas that will need some clearing out, but will take less time (the junk drawers in the office or the cabinets in the living room).
- PREPARE – Plan to sort items into keep, sell/donate, or garbage. Create a large area for each pile to be placed in when sorting. Make sure you have a designated space for the sell/donate pile so as you move into other rooms you can keep adding to do one donation drop off or to a garage sale in the spring or summer months.
- MULTI-TASK – Don’t expect to get it all done in one day or you’ll be planning for failure. Those smaller areas are perfect for multi-tasking. While you’re relaxing and watching TV, you could use the commercials to be productive. It’s the perfect time to pull out a junk drawer and start going through it.
- GET CREATIVE – A good rule of thumb is if you haven’t used it in a year, it’s time to get rid of it. The reality is that we get emotionally attached to items. A great way to save space and keep the memories is to take photos of these items. You’ll have the photo to hang onto the memory, which can be better preserved online in digital form and save you a whole lot of space.
- GO PAPERLESS – In the tech age, it’s hard to believe how many papers we have cluttering up our homes. Transfer your favorite recipes into a folder on your computer and donate or toss those big cook books. Scan your receipts and important papers onto your computer and back them up.
- MAKE SYSTEMS – Everything in your house should have a “home.” Set up an inbox for mail that seems to pile up everywhere. Get a magazine rack so they are not lying about everywhere.
- DON’T GIVE UP! – You can do it. Persistence is always key when completing a task like this. Plan when you’re going to have a garage sale so you have a set deadline before you start.
Life can get crazy and out of control sometimes, but your home should be your sanctuary. It will feel good to enjoy the New Year with a sense of accomplishment and serenity.
Helen Oliveri is a 12-year real estate professional who loves our community and helping clients achieve their real estate goals is her priority. She is the managing broker of the newly opened Keller Williams Realty Partners, home of The Helen Oliveri Team in Hawthorn Woods where she also resides. Feel free to visit the new office in Cherry Hill Plaza at 101 W. Gilmer Road or visit online at HelenOliveri.com.