Deck the halls for a happy holiday, but why not something more? When your house is decorated for the season it will look beautiful to potential buyers. Many people feel that the holiday season is not a good time to sell, but think about why this might be the best time.
1. SERIOUS BUYERS – People who look for a home during the holidays are more serious buyers.
2. LESS INVENTORY – Serious buyers have fewer houses to choose from during the holidays and less competition means more money for you.
3. HIGHER DEMAND – Since the supply of listings will dramatically increase in January there will be less demand for your particular home. Less demand means less money for your home.
4. SHOWS BETTER – Houses show better when decorated for the holidays.
5. EMOTIONAL BUYERS – Buyers are more emotional during the holidays so they are more likely to pay a higher price.
6. MORE TIME TO SHOP – Buyers have more time to look for a home during the holidays than they do during a working week.
7. TAX BREAKS – Some people must buy before the end of the year for tax reasons.
8. TRANSFEREES – January is traditionally the month for employees to begin new jobs. Since transferees cannot wait until spring to buy, your house must be listed now to capture that market.
9. YOU CHOOSE – You can still be on the market, but you have the option to restrict showings during the six or seven days during the holidays.
10. CLOSE WHEN CONVENIENT – You can sell now for more money and we will provide for a delayed closing or extended occupancy until early next year.
11. SET YOURSELF UP TO BUY – By selling now you may have an opportunity to be a non-contingent buyer during the spring when many more houses are on the market for less money. This will allow you to sell high and buy low.
There are many strategies to selling your home. The winter market is a great way to showcase your property in the best light. To find out what’s best for you and your family, contact a real estate agent today to provide you with solid advice on how to be successful in today’s market.
Helen Oliveri is a 12-year real estate professional who loves our community; helping clients achieve their real estate goals is her priority. She is the managing broker of the newly opened Keller Williams Realty Partners, home of The Helen Oliveri Team in Hawthorn Woods, Illinois, where she also resides. Feel free to visit the new office in Cherry Hill Plaza at 101 W. Gilmer Road. Visit online at HelenOliveri.com.